This is my very first study model for the display project. I wanted to showcase my lip balm mounted on the wall rather than on a table top. Originally I wanted to put the lip balm within each polygon shape.

This is the same model from underneath shows the inconsistent sizes to give the overall display depth and makes it a little more interesting.

This model is somewhat of the same idea just done with chipboard instead of paper bag to show a more realistic construction.

At this point in my process I was starting to get board with the original polygon structure shown above. They were becoming  too repetitive. I started to work with smaller and wider shapes and thinking about using less shapes within the structure.  I was beginning to become more simplistic within the design. The little polygons would be the lip balm while the larger polygons would be the encasement display. Each lip balm would rest on top of one another filling the entire space. The problem was every time someone would pull out a lip balm it was a chance that they would collapse and fall. So it was back to the drawing board.

These little guys came about randomly when I was working at my desk one day and saw all the shapes like these on the table in a pile. I loved the way they looked. It was a very loose interpretation of what I was already trying to do  but more free and organic. The appearance of this new discovery was related to my overall message of my product. Being organic and  natural and not so orderly and precise. This was it! Time to run with it and develop it more.

I started to place them within a composition. I still liked the idea of making the display on a wall and placing the lip balm within the wall or board that comes from the wall. This model shows the lip balm being in the center of the sculptural pieces and would work from one end to the next, almost like a band of lip balm in the center. I also started to play with color. I wanted to stay within the neutral tones and use a darker wood finish for the background to make the product jump out.

Working on the model above I ran into a little issue making the lip balm stick through the display. I didn't want a hole in the display so I thought it would be better to make a backing so the lip balm could sit within this holder that would sit back further into the display but still keeping the original shape to continue the branding.

The design above was a good design but it could be better. So instead of putting the lip balm in a row it would be more interesting to make the sculptural piece more of a eye catcher and put the lip balm within the polygon shapes.

1 Response so far.

  1. rachel - i 'm glad to see the photos of your process work - could you also add some commentary about this development?
    i think your project is coming along very nicely! great work!

Post a Comment